EACH PAIR OF STUDENTS SHOULD BE ALLOCATED AN INQUIRY QUESTION FROM THE LIST BELOW.
Remember that you may need to visit more than one place in the museum to develop your response.
Australian Inland Mission
1. What is an Inlander? Why was the Australian Inland Mission founded?
2. Who was John Flynn and what was his relationship to the Royal Flying Doctor Service?
Founding the Royal Flying Doctor Service
3. Why was the Royal Flying Doctor Service created?
4. Who was Jimmy Darcy and how did his emergency influence the foundation of the Royal Flying Doctor Service?
5. What struggles do people who live in outback Australia have that are not shared by people who live in cities?
6. Who was Alfred Traeger? What did he invent and how did it help people who lived in the outback? How did people communicate with the Royal Flying Doctor Service before this invention?
Communicating Illness or Injury
7. What was the Body Chart? Who invented it? How did it work and how did it help people ringing for help describe their medical condition?
8. What sort of information should a person calling the Royal Flying Doctor Service during a medical emergency provide? (Listen to ‘Mary’s Call for Help’ audio display)
9. What did the Royal Flying Doctor Service do to help students who lived too far away to attend school?
10. Why is the word ‘Royal’ in the title of the Royal Flying Doctor Service? When did this happen?
11. How did doctors reach patients before they began to use planes? How did the use of aeroplanes change the Royal Flying Doctor Service?